All Aboard Minnesota’s 2016 fall membership meeting was held on Saturday, November 12… five days after the national election. This was our third such meeting, and we had record turnout and a packed agenda!
Here is a summary of the meeting:
- Board members introduced themselves and gave a brief recap of 2016 activities and achievements.
- Bob Moen gave a brief powerpoint presentation showing what he found on a recent scouting trip down UP’s “Spine Line” toward Kansas City. This route has been identified in the State Rail Plan as a “Tier Two” choice for eventual intercity passenger service. Bob reported on improved track conditions, existing station/platform infrastructure, and overall desirability of the route, which would serve important communities such as Northfield, Faribault, Owatonna, Mason City, and Des Moines.
- House Representative Alice Hausman (Chair of the Transportation Policy and Finance committee) spoke on the outlook for progress given the new makeup of the House and Senate and how we can impact outcomes.
- MnDOT Office of Passenger Rail – Dan Krom and Frank Loetterle—provided an in-depth look at their ongoing efforts to bring new service from the Twin Cities to Chicago and Duluth (NLX), and their legislative “ask” for funding and planning for 2017.
- NARP Vice-Chair John DeLora, who launched and headed the Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers some 37 years ago! John had many good suggestions on how to successfully grow a nonprofit organization; and to accomplish our grass-roots communication and education objectives.
- Finally, the Board recognized several members for their important contributions in 2016. Lunch and socialization rounded out this successful get- together. Thanks to all who attended!